The influx of technology in construction has increased the quality and timely completion of projects as well as risk mitigation and enabled the construction of unique and superior structures in the U.S.
Even so, the construction industry is still lagging when it comes to technological advancement compared to other industries. One reason for this is the shortage of skilled workers. 57% of constructors are having problems finding good workers to work with, and over 90% fear the possibility of a labor shortage.
The good news is that recently, technology has been permeating the construction industry, and smart construction professionals are succeeding by embracing it.
Keep reading to learn about some of the aspects of technology that are improving the construction industry.
Although they’re not very common in construction sites, drones have proven themselves very effective in this industry. They are being used in many different ways, including:
- Jobsite inspection – Drones can be used to monitor sites and ensuring safety by identifying any potential dangers that may arise at the construction site
- Monitoring workers to ensure that everyone is working safely
- Delivering materials to different areas in the site quickly
- Collecting photos and videos (real-time data) of the ongoing project
- Reaching areas that are very risky to reach
Drones aren’t expected to eliminate the need for workers; rather, they are designed to make work easier and safer for them.
3D printing is becoming one of the most essential tools in a construction sites today. They help push the boundaries beyond the designer’s table by helping them create a three-dimensional, computer-aided design model of a site or a building.
If you haven’t used this technology before, you should look for companies offering 3D laser scanning services to help you understand how they work and how to use them in your construction site.
3D laser scanners work a lot like a camera. The device scans the building, and captures every detail possible around it. You then use the data that it collects to create a digital picture of the overall representation of the site. Therefore, 3D laser scanners:
- Help in mapping out the existing site conditions before renovations
- Reveal any design issues early enough in the construction process t
- Measure and evaluate the progress of your project. They give precise records of every phase of the construction.
- Help in creating 3D building models that can be used to communicate some of the complicated designs to the investors, shareholders, and clients who may not have expertise in building designs.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
The ability of a machine to mimic human behaviors and also learn on its own is known as artificial intelligence. It involves giving a computer the ability to learn and make good decisions without being explicitly programmed to do so. This technology is now being incorporated into the construction industry to:
- Predict design. They take into consideration different factors to help come up with the best design for a specific location, the weather, geography, the general environment around the site, and other factors.
- They help to make designing easier and more practical. AI can explore different variations of the design model to help you come up with the best alternatives for your building.
- They can also take over repetitive tasks, thus improving productivity and safety. For instance, they can be used to pour concrete, lay bricks, and other tasks, thus freeing up human workers for more creative work.
Project Management Software
Today, many construction professionals are using project management software and applications to improve productivity and work experience. It can help you manage projects in real-time, coordinate work, segregate tasks, and collaborate between the project manager and their clients or investors.
Instead of driving to an office or a site for impromptu meetings, you can simply communicate in real-time and tackle any urgent issue that needs to be addressed.
Construction companies that are researching and adopting the current technologies used are now reaping big. They enjoy increased productivity, timely completion of tasks, and higher profit margins. Invest in modern technologies today and see how beneficial it would be for you.