One of the best qualities of milk is turning it into numerous other products through processing. It’s an excellent opportunity for small dairy farms to offer their customers a wider choice of options after initially only producing milk. Fortunately, you don’t need a whole milk processing factory to offer different dairy goods. This article will learn everything you need to know about small-scale dairy equipment and its processing.
You can get numerous dairy products through milk processing:
- Pasteurized milk
- Ice cream
- Fluid milk
- And other products
Almost every small farm processes pasteurized milk because it’s forbidden to sell raw milk in most countries. To achieve that, milk is heated in pasteurizers — special devices for pasteurization — and then cooled down. This process destroys disease-causing microorganisms to make milk safer. Also, pasteurization increases the shelf life of dairy products. That’s why most governments demand that both large manufacturers and small farms process their milk to make it pasteurized.
However, pasteurization is essential before any other processing you’ll be putting the milk through. And while all countries don’t need to pasteurize milk, most farmers still tend to do it because of the increased shelf life.
Now let’s look at all the equipment you can get to create your milk processing farm.
Pre-stack, milk, interim, and mixing tanks are used to store liquid dairy products to keep them fresh for as long as possible. Therefore, they are crucial pieces of equipment for milk processing if you want to produce high-quality, fresh, and safe products.
As already mentioned, pasteurization often lies at the core of milk processing. Pasteurizers are machines that will simplify this step for you. A milk pasteurization unit will heat the milk and keep it at a set temperature for a set duration, stirring it continuously and then cooling it down to make it ready for storing or further processing.
These machines are used for making low-fat and skim milk and cream. As a cream separator divides fat from milk, you get two products simultaneously — cream and milk with a lower fat percentage. Depending on the working time of the cream separator, you can get milk and cream of different fat percentages.
It’s a straightforward device that will apply pressure to cheese curds to squeeze out all the liquid and form cheese. It would be best if you chose a cheese press depending on the amount of dairy product you’re planning to produce.
Benefits of small-scale dairy equipment for farming
Sure, there is less hassle in selling simply milk. But small scale dairy equipment will give you much more freedom and let you make more revenue from your farm. Here are all the benefits you’re getting if you have small-scale dairy equipment for farming:
- You have better quality products — Homogenizers, pasteurizers, and milk tanks will help you improve the overall quality of your dairy.
- Machines automate processes — Therefore, making dairy goods other than milk will not be a hassle. The equipment allows you to create products quicker and more efficiently while keeping quality.
- It’s easy to clean the machines — Advanced models are made to be easy to clean, so you don’t have to worry about spending hours cleaning the equipment.
- Machines can work around the clock — Of course, some models need rest, but you can get equipment that can work 24/7 if you need continuous production.
- You can reduce prices — Since creating dairy products will be less effort-consuming, you’ll have a chance to cut dairy milk processing plant costs and reduce prices to attract more customers.
Even a small-scale dairy equipment farm can offer a variety of products today as equipment becomes more affordable and suited to small-scale production.