Did your dentist ask for dental implant surgery? Are you worried about the procedure and risk factors related to it? Then calm down and have a look at every detail you need to know about dental implants!
What is dental implant surgery?
Dental implants are done to replace the missing or damaged teeth with an artificial one that functions and looks like normal teeth. In this, the roots of the tooth are replaced by a screw-like metal structure. This works as a denture for the people lacking natural teeth.
Why is it required?
According to the Dubai dental implants surgeons, dental implant surgery usually depends upon the condition of the jawbone of the patient. The implant may require several procedures depending upon the type of implant. But the main motive always remains the same that is to provide solid support to the new artificial teeth.
Dental implants are placed surgically in the jawbone of the patient, where they act as a root of the missing or damaged tooth. The titanium used during the implant fuses with the jawbone of the patient and, therefore, makes no noise or slip.
Things to make sure before having a dental implant:
In general, if you want to have a dental implant make sure you can follow the below-given instructions:
- You should at least have one or more teeth damaged or missing.
- You should have a fully grown jawbone
- Your oral tissues should be well grown and healthy
- Must have adequate bone to get bone grafting and secure implants.
- Should not have any type of health condition or disease that will affect the healing process
- Can quit smoking
- The person should have enough time as the procedure may take a couple of months.
Risk factors related to dental implant surgeries:
Just like other surgeries, dental implants may also cause some health risks. But these are very rare. If occurred, they can be treated easily with the help of a good implant surgeon. The risks may include:
- Some type of infection occurring at the site of implantation
- Damage or an injury caused at another blood vessel or teeth.
- Nerve damage during the surgery that may cause numbness, pain or tingling in other natural teeth, lips, gums or chin.
- Some patients may suffer sinus problems, in case the dental implantation placed in the upper jaw may protrude into the sinus cavity.
Such types of risk factors are rarely noted in Dubai dental implant surgeries. If the patient faces any type of discomfort or pain shall contact his/her dentist as soon as possible.
How much time does dental implant surgery take?
Dental implants are usually performed in different stages depending upon the condition of the jawbone of the patient. It involves multiple stages, such as:
- Removal of the damaged tooth or teeth
- Preparing a jawbone for the grafting procedure ( when required)
- Placement of the dental implant
- Placement of abutment
- Placement of the new artificial teeth or tooth
This entire multi-stage procedure may take a couple of months. After that, a patient requires enough time for healing and waiting for the new bone to grow. Depending upon the situation of the patients, a surgeon may combine a few steps to avoid extra time.
What results can be expected after a dental implant?
99% of dental implants are successful and may cause very little discomfort or pain after the surgery. Some conditions, such as persistent smoking, contribute to several complications that may also cause implantation failure.
If such conditions arise and bone does not fuse sufficiently, the surgeon may remove the implant and clean the bone and prescribe to try the procedure again after three months. A person can avoid damaging by practicing good oral hygiene, seeking a dentist after regular intervals and avoiding habits such as tobacco and smoking.
Dental products required after implantation:
A person can carry on his same dental routine after the implantation. To eliminate the failure and risk factors, a patient can consider below-given dental products after the surgery:
- A soft bristles toothbrush: make sure to buy a soft-bristled toothbrush that won?t hurt the restoration
- Mild toothpaste: The toothpaste should be mild and should not contain harsh ingredients as used for the toothpaste for teeth-whitening and smokers.
- Mouthwash: you may not use mouthwash in your regular routine but it?s quite important to use alcohol-free mouthwash after the implantation.
- Floss: select nylon coated floss made for the patients recovering from implants.