Search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) are few among the most popular advertising buzzwords in the market. When it comes to SEO vs. SEM, it is easy to confuse between the two and the difference between them. Here, we’ll take a look at what each of the abbreviations and marketing channels means and how they work.
Search engines like Google, Yahoo has only two types of search results:
• Paid Results
• Organic Results
Paid results show up when companies pay the search engine for click bytes. Organic results are the ones that Google finds most relevant for the query or the search entered by the customer.
Most of these organic results are driven by Search Engine Optimization.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
It is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search results.
The 2 major types of SEO are :
• On-Page SEO
• Off-Page SEO
On-page SEO is the process where the optimization happens on your website, like updating a title tag, publishing a new blog post, or improving page speed. You have complete control of the on-page SEO.
Off-page SEO is a process where the optimization happens outside your website, like conducting social outreach, optimizing social media profiles, or sharing content and engaging people socially. You have some control when it comes to off-page SEO, but not much-compared on-page SEO.
SEO is not a one-time task, though. You have to maintain your rankings, especially when your competitors pop up and try to replace your spot in the search results.
How SEO works:
- SEO works simply by demonstrating the search engines that your content is the best result in terms of its quality for the topic at hand.
- SEO works perfectly fine in search engines because all search engines have the same goal – To show the best, most relevant results to their users.
- Precisely how you perform this depends on the search engine you’re optimizing for.
- If you want more organic traffic to your web pages, then you need to understand and work with Google search’s algorithm. If you want more video views, then it’s all about YouTube’s algorithm.
- It’s also important to understand that each search engine has a different ranking algorithm.
What is Search Engine Marketing (SEM)?
- SEM is a general term that includes SEO along with some more forms of paid advertising strategies conducted within search engines.
- SEM is also a broad term that encompasses SEO and PPC.
- One of those most important forms of paid advertising is PPC. PPC stands for Pay-Per-ClickIt’s a method of marketing on search engines.
- Essentially, PPC is a targeted way of buying visits to your site that could end in conversion, whether this is a sale, conversion, or a sign-up, etc.
- So, if you’re wondering “is SEM the same as paid search or PPC” then the answer is yes, it is. SEM often refers to pay-per-click (PPC) advertising and marketing.
- And while there are many PPC platforms in the web arena, by far the most popular and successful option is proven to be Google AdWords.
The aim of SEM is to help advertisers gain visibility in the search engines and drive the right kind of traffic to the website. In order to be successful in SEM, it’s important to have a strong, dynamic strategy to get the best ROI (Return on investment).
Advantages of using SEM:
- One key advantage of paid strategies within SEM is that they have an immediate impact and the results will be clear.
- You are in total control of PPC campaigns: who sees your ad, how much you pay, when your ads are displayed, and much more.
- A wide-ranging SEM strategy is great for businesses who want highly targeted campaigns across a larger audience base. You can use unique advertising messages to different groups of customers across a variety of mediums.
Why Is SEO and SEM Important?
Both SEO and SEM are two powerful processes that can drive businesses and see substantial growth. By utilizing the search engine perfectly, you can tap into a large audience that’s already there. Keyword research, website management, and targeted advertising all of these contribute to the effectiveness of search engine campaigns. Implementing any one of these will help you see rises in SERP(Search engine rankings), brand awareness, and quality leads. Now all you have to do is to decide which process is the better fit for your business model and get the ball rolling.
Which is Better SEO or SEM?
SEO and SEM each offer benefits of its own and both help a business to grow. If you can only pick one, then it should be SEO.
SEO provides a reliable and effective strategy for your company to generate traffic, lead, and revenue. Also, SEO is generally more cost-effective compared to SEM, which almost always uses paid advertising. Though digital advertising is economical when it comes to price, it becomes costly when it’s your sole resource for driving traffic, leads, and sales.
For the best results, you need to build an SEM strategy that supports SEO. This kind of strategy gives your business a diverse and comprehensive approach to develop your business locally and globally
Together, SEM and SEO work better. These SEO’s can be done by an SEO company in Chennai or social media marketing company in Chennai that could join hands with you to build your business.
We are one of such digital marketing pioneers and you could contact us for any digital marketing related works. You name it we do it.