When decorating your own home many ideas pops up in the mind but sometimes it becomes difficult to comprehend where to start from. This is why it is important to understand interior design basics. Basics of decoration are something that you need to know before the start of the project. This is the reason we have come up with an array of innovative ideas that can help you in bringing your creativity to the forefront in arranging your home.
Some people are born with an innovative mind and have a keen eye for decorating and detailing but some acquire the skill by learning it and then applying it successfully. It is the third kind who by learning the basic techniques can go a long way.
These decorating are simple enough that is easy to understand and apply in your home that can make your home look attractive.
The Designing Principles
1. The odd number adds appeal
Odd numbers can go about as an establishment that can make congruity and visual intrigue. The things in the house when orchestrated in a gathering of odd numbers offer more to the eyes and make the sight paramount than even-numbers.. You can keep candles or vases in the odd number setting on the centre table or a cabinet or hang 3 handcrafted bags on a white wall to make it look attractive. You can easily buy handcrafted bag online.
You can group the objects in different heights, shapes and textures but keep a subtle similarity about them. Because uniformity looks boring thus a slight contrast with the odd numbers can make things more attractive.
2. Room’s Focal Point
A room’s focal point is the most attractive part that people get attracted towards naturally when they walk into the room. Finding the focal point in the room can be a good start. Many rooms have a focal point that is built-in and if you don’t have one then you can create it with some tips:
• Paint a wall in your room with a different colour. It can also be made attractive by accessorizing it with artwork like a hand block printed bed sheet that is framed or with a large painting.
• Decide the usage of the room and then create a focal point around. If you want to convert the room for study then you can create a bookshelf that can serve as a focal point.
• You can also use a large piece of attractive furniture as the focal point.
Once you are sure of the focal point you can decorate things around it by using its main colour as the element. If the focal point is at the centre of the room it balances everything around it. It can act as the anchor of the room like a coffee table or the centre table with seating and other accessories arranged around it.
3. The Basic Measurement Rules
When it comes to arranging the furniture and hanging the artwork, most of us do it as per our instinct. But if we go by the specific measurements for decorating it makes the room look better.
Coffee table distance: There should be a gap of 15″ between coffee tables and sofas.
• Hanging art: When we hang an art piece then it’s imperative to keep its centre at eye level that means that it should not be 56″ to 60″ above the floor. But instead of one art piece if there are multiple pieces then keep the centre point of the whole arrangement at eye level.
• When you are hanging an art piece or painting art above your sofa, it should not be more than 2/3 the width of the sofa and leave at least 5-9″ of space the both.
• Hanging curtains: You should mount curtain rods 4″ from the top of the window. To create an illusion to make it look wider or taller you can go beyond 4″ but don’t exceed 8. To create the illusion of width the standard size is 1-3″ but try not to go beyond 12″ on either side.
• TV distance: The distance of your TV from your sofa depends on its size. By multiplying the diagonal size of your TV by two you will get the inches your TV should be from your seating area.
• For rugs: If a rug is big enough, you can put all legs of your furniture on top of it and leave 12-18″ of floor surface on all four sides but with a smaller rug leave all four feet of your furniture off of it. Many designers also choose to just put the two front feet on the rug that create a feeling of openness.
4. Lighting plays an important part
Lighting brings a whole new effect in the room but here’s are some considerations that need your attention.
Ambient lighting is also called general lighting. It is placed overhead to evenly illuminate a room.
Task lighting is used to light up a specific task like a reading area in your study room. Under-cabinet lights in a kitchen are also task lights that are used for countertops.
Accent lights are used to highlight a particular object like a painting or a photograph. For example, you buy relief art online and want that it should grasp everyone’s attention then accent lights can do wonders to it.
Adding different types of lighting as per the need of the room can give your room dimension and also increase the beauty of the space by illuminating a particular area, object or the whole space with the ambient, task, and accent lighting.
These tips are good to start your decoration but you can also go by your gut feeling and your personal taste and preference.