Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a frequent hormonal disorder. If you have PCOS, your body may produce an abnormally high level of androgen hormone. This results in irregular menstrual cycles, missed periods, and unexpected ovulation in women with PCOS. Regular exercise has many advantages for women with PCOS. Yoga is one of the most effective PCOS therapy due to its multiple benefits. Hormones, insulin, and blood sugar levels can all be controlled and regulated with yoga for PCOS. It has been proven that practicing yoga for PCOS improves your physical and mental well-being.
The Following are Some of the Advantages of Yoga for PCOS. `
Yoga Can Enhance Metabolic Markers
Yoga has a positive impact on insulin and lipid levels in PCOS-afflicted women. Yoga improves lipid, glucose, and insulin resistance in PCOS girls who practice it regularly.
Yoga Helps To Maintain Gastrointestinal Balance
Gastrointestinal distress is another negative impact of PCOS. However, yoga can also help with digestive problems. Yoga poses stimulate the digestive organs, which improves their functionality.
Women with PCOS typically experience anxiety. It is well known that yoga can relieve stress and anxiety in individuals. Yoga for PCOS promotes mental tranquillity and has a relaxing effect on sympathetic nerve activity. Yoga has been proven to lessen stress and anxiety by reducing cortisol levels and managing the sympathetic nervous system.
Yoga Aids With Weight Loss
Weight gain is a common symptom of PCOS. There is no more effective way to control your weight than to practice yoga, which boosts metabolism and encourages calorie burning.
Yoga Boosts Fertility
One of the primary issues for women with PCOS is infertility. Yoga for PCOS is a fantastic solution to boost fertility. If you have PCOS and want to become pregnant, yoga can help you re-establish neuro-hormonal balance and improve blood flow in your pelvic area. Furthermore, it decreases the levels of testosterone, which promote conception.
Yoga poses for PCOS
The following are the benefits of some yoga poses for PCOS.
Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
The bow pose is another beneficial yoga for PCOS asana, which energizes the reproductive organs, enhancing their efficiency. It helps to relieve period discomforts like cramps and stiffness. Additionally, it strengthens the abdominal muscles, opens up the chest, neck, and shoulders, and is effective for people with kidney problems.
- Begin by resting on your stomach.
- Put your knees in a bent position and grab your ankles with both hands.
- Keep your knees raised and take a deep breath before raising your chest off the floor.
- Breathe normally and hold the position for 15 seconds.
- Let go of your ankles, lower your chest, and relax by lowering your legs.
Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
Lotus pose is an effective yoga for PCOS posture. It promotes relaxation by relieving tension. The lotus pose significantly lessens menstrual cramps. This pose is beneficial to the pelvic girdle. In addition to stretching the internal organs, it also controls hormonal imbalances.
- Extend your legs in front of you while sitting on the ground or a mat.
- Keep your back straight.
- Bend your right knee and rest your feet on your left thigh.
- The heels should be near the abdomen, and the sole of the feet should point upward.
- Move on to the left leg and perform the same movement.
- After crossing your legs, place your hands in the mudra position on your knees.
- Keep your spine upright and your head straight.
- Hold this position for one minute while breathing slowly and deeply.
The rapid breathing method, known as kapalbhati pranayam, aids in treating PCOS symptoms. It reduces stress, blood sugar levels, and body weight. It improves blood circulation and reduces oxidative stress in the body. Additionally, it encourages the pancreas’ capacity to heal itself, which aids in weight loss.
- Sit on the floor with your legs crossed.
- Relax and close your eyes.
- Inhale deeply while stretching your chest.
- Exhale forcefully by contracting your abdominal muscles.
- Do this pose continuously for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Another effective yoga for PCOS is the cobra pose. Women of all ages can use it to control their symptoms naturally. Along with calming the stomach, this position also enhances ovarian function. This pose promotes pregnancy by increasing pelvic blood circulation. Additionally, it facilitates better digestion and reduces stress.
- Lie on your stomach.
- Keep the palms downward.
- Taking a breath, raise your chest off the ground by straightening your arms.
- Recline as far back as possible while keeping your tummy in contact with the ground.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds.
- Then exhale slowly and lower your body.
The Bottom Line
The health advantages of yoga are highly advantageous for women with PCOS. Yoga for PCOS can assist with weight loss, health enhancement, stress reduction, and hormone imbalance management. Yoga comes in various styles, from basic positions to more difficult ones, and it can help with PCOS therapy.