There have been several advancements in medical sciences which are bringing about ample benefits to mankind. There are life-saving drugs, modern medical equipment, and several other inventions which are a boon for the whole planet.
The PACS system is one such medical technology which has also brought about significant benefits in the health sectors. It is known as the picture archiving and communication system. The PACS software aids in economical retrieval, storage, distribution, presentation, and management of various medical images.
Electronic images and radiology reporting get digitally transmitted via the system of PACS. This has eliminated manual filing and enables healthcare organizations to function in a more structured manner. With digital imaging facilities, hospitals and laboratories can now share and store every type of medical image both externally and internally.
PACS follows the universal formatting of image transfer and storage which is called the Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine. DICOM permits RIS, PACS, and several other medical imaging that help the healthcare facilities in staying connected. Some of the common medical images that PACS can handle include:
- Computed tomography
- Digital radiology
Components That Makeup PACS:
- Imaging modalities
- Secured network system that helps in the transmission of the information of the patients
- Workstations that assist in reviewing and interpreting images
- Archives for retrieval and storage of reports and images
With the emerging technologies of the web, PACS has become even more efficient in delivering timely interpretations, images, and related data. This helps in breaking downtime and physical barriers which the medical organizations often faced in the past.
Vital Uses of the PACS System:
Here are some of the highlighted uses of the system:
- Replacement Of Hardcopy: PACS helps the medical professionals to do away with the hard copies of the medical imaging completely. This offers space advantage and also reduces unnecessary storage costs significantly. Now the medical institutions can easily access the soft copies of the images whenever required.
- Remote Access: Tele-diagnosis and distance education are quite famous in the medical world these days. Such facilities have become possible owing to the introduction of the PACS system in the healthcare sectors. The system facilities both off-site viewing and reporting which were never possible with the conventional systems. Thus, practitioners can now access information from various locations with ease.
- Management Of Radiology Workflow: With the introduction of radiology digital imaging, managing the workflow of the examinations of the patients has become quite simple. It is offering benefits to the diagnostician, the patients, the physician concerned, and to the hospital as a whole.
- Integration Platform For Electronic Images: PACS enables the integration of the digital radiology images with the other automatic medical systems like HIS, Electronic Medical Record, RIS, and Practice Management Software.
Reasons To Justify The Outperformance Of Digital Radiography:
In case you are looking to upgrade your x-ray system for better efficiency, then it is always wise to choose the digital radiology systems over the computed ones. There are several benefits that the modern digital system has to offer to the healthcare sectors over the conventional ones.
- Faster Speed For Image Capturing: Digital radiology helps in eliminating the tedious processing of images that takes place in the computed radiology. Digital radiography makes use of flat panels which consisting of the detection layer over multiple numbers of film transistors. This technology allows the viewing of the image instantly when it gets captured.
- Patient-Friendly: One of the biggest advantages of the digital radiology system is machine size. That computed radiology systems are bulky, large, and thus require almost an entire room for their usage. However, digital systems are portable and compact. This means you can carry the system easily beside the bed of the patient and carry out the imaging there itself instead of moving the patient to the machine.
- Cost Of Maintenance And Ownership Is Low: The initial cost of investment of the digital radiology system is higher as compared to the computed system. However, using the digital system, you can take more number of images in reduced time. This means that the cost per image gets lowered a lot. Further, with the digital system, hospitals can process more patients at a faster rate. This increases the profit margin significantly. Moreover, the computed systems have many breakable and sensitive parts that require huge maintenance. In the digital systems, you do not have such headaches. So ultimately, the expenses in maintaining the digital systems are quite low and affordable.
- Reduced Chemical Waste And Improved Safety: The technology with which the digital systems operate are quite clean as compared to the computed systems. Digital technology also does not require the handling of hazardous chemicals and films. They operate on using powerful batteries.
So, you see using the digital radiology systems, hospitals and diagnostic centers can always remain ahead in competition in serving the patients well.
Considerations And Benefits Of Using The PACS System:
The use of PACS in radiology brings about a huge difference in the visualization of medical images. You can easily manipulate the images to enlarge the view if required. Listed below are other benefits that the system brings about in the medical field.
- PACS helps you in storing both 3D and 2D images.
- There can be a reduction in the numbers of similar images which helps in the better and efficient management of data.
- It allows the chronological view of the radiology history of the patients.
- With the use of PACS, surgeons can now view the images before the patients return to the examination room. This speeds up the workflow and helps the doctors in offering better care to their patients.
- Remote access with PACS has facilitated teleradiology to a great extent.
- The overall administration of the hospital gets enhanced with the use of modern technologies. With improved morale, staffs always function with positive vibes while serving the patients.
So, what are you waiting for! Pick your preferable RIS and PACS package today from reliable service providers and bring about enhanced productivity and patient satisfaction with the flexible and feature-rich software.
Author Bio– SepStream is the best solution provider of EMR/RIS/PACS in the entire Texas region. The products are scalable, powerful and affordable. For any kind of imaging related service, Contact us at anytime.