Gmail is one of the best email clients with over 1.8 billion active users in the world. It provides 15 GB of cloud storage to store Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos data. To access the data without having an internet connection you need to back up your data.
So in this write-up, we will discuss how to backup Gmail emails by manual and automated methods. Simultaneously, we will wind up with what professionals suggest regarding the best solution, the manual one or the Gmail backup tool.
Reasons Why Gmail Emails Should be Backup
The following reasons show why it is important for users to backup emails.
- To prevent Malware or hackers’ attack
- Avoid unintentional data deletion
- To access data without having an internet connection
The above reasons describe why it is so important to have a backup into the hard drive. Now you can go through the below section to follow the method.
Different Methods to Backup Gmail Account
If the question bothers you, about how to backup Gmail emails to hard drive, then read all the methods given below. In this section, we will discuss various manual methods to back up Gmail.
Method 1: Backup Gmail with Google Takeout Feature
Google Takeout is an in-built feature provided by Google. With the help of this feature, you can backup Gmail account to the hard drive. Follow the following steps to use Google Takeout.
- Login to your Google account using the correct credentials.
- Click on the account image icon and choose to Manage your Account.
- Select the option Data and privacy from the left sidebar.
- Go to the Data from apps and services that you use and click on Download your data.
- Choose the option Deselect all.
- Scroll down to the Mail feature and select All Mail data included.
- After that, unmark all the options and tick the Include all messages in Mail.
- Scroll down the screen and tap on the Next step button.
- Choose to Send download link via email from the dropdown menu of the Delivery method.
- Choose the File type & size of the resultant file.
- Now click on the Create Export button and you will receive an email once the archiving process is completed.
- When the email gets received, open it and click on the Download Your Files button.
After following the above method, you can Backup Gmail Emails. You can also go for another solution which is mentioned below.
Method 2: Back up Gmail using MS Outlook
If you want to export Gmail to pst, then you can opt for this method. This method will show you, how you can save Gmail emails to PST using MS Outlook. Let’s begin.
- Open MS Outlook and choose Add Account under the File menu.
- Put your details such as Name, Gmail Account, and Password generated by a third-party app.
- After that, click on the Next button. It will link the Gmail account to Outlook.
- Press the Finish button after the process completes.
- Again go to the menu tab and click the File button.
- Click the Open & Export option and pick Import/Export.
- From the Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file and hit the Next button.
- Now, select Outlook Data file (.pst) and hit the Next icon.
- Choose the file or folder and hit Next.
- Finally, mark Replace Duplicates with items exported and hit the Finish button.
So, with the above method, you can only export Gmail emails to PST.
All two methods we discussed above can guide you to save Gmail emails to a hard drive or PST. But some limitations can stop you to use these methods. Let’s discuss in the next section what you could face during the above manual procedure.
What Can Stop You to Use Manual Methods to Backup Gmail Emails
Although the manual method is free to use, still there are various limitations to using it. So, you should know about the demerits of the manual method before following them. Let’s have a look:
- It is a time-consuming and lengthy process.
- The process is complex and not suitable for non-technical users.
- It requires technical know-how.
- This process is risky and can lead to data loss.
- It doesn’t allow moving multiple emails in bulk.
- No surety of backing up all the selected data.
- Can’t backup data to other file formats.
These are the reasons why users avoid the manual method of Backup Gmail Emails. As there is no data safety, so nobody wants to put their data at risk and waste their valuable time.
To overcome these issues, professionals suggest users use an automated method i.e., Gmail backup tool. By using this alternate method, users can back up multiple Gmail data to various file formats. It doesn’t require any technical knowledge, anyone can backup data in just a few clicks without any hurdles. It is secure and keeps retains data integrity throughout the entire process. Now, you can go with the solution which you think is better for you and your data.
Now you get to know about both manual and automated methods. The manual method can guide you through the process of Gmail backup, but it has some drawbacks. On the other hand, an automated solution is fully user-friendly and secure. So, we come to the end that the automated method of Gmail backup can provide more satisfactory results than the manual one. Hope this article helps you to choose the best way to backup Gmail emails.