How do I open an OST file without Outlook? If you are searching for the best answer to this question then your search is over now. Because this blog will help you to know the manual solutions for converting OST to PST. Together we will mention some benefits and drawbacks of the manual technique. In the meanwhile, you can go for the OST to PST Converter?for a quick solution. Before moving to the conversion process, let?s know some reasons why you should move OST to PST.
There are different reasons why most users choose to convert OST file to PST. Some of them are discussed below:
- Chances of Exchange Server failure: MS Exchange server might face an unexpected crash or virus attack due to which OST file can?t be accessed.
- Moving to another email client: If you want to move OST files to another email client, you need to convert them to PST format. Because OST files are not compatible with other email clients.
- Deletion of Exchange Server: If you accidentally delete the Exchange server account, your data will be lost. It is better to transfer OST to PST to avoid this loss.
- Email account corrupted: If your email account gets corrupted, you can?t access to OST files present in your account. While PST files are easy to access.
These are some common reasons for converting OST to PST. Now, let?s move to the methods by which you can move OST to PST.
Here we are discussing two manual methods to change OST to PST. Before moving forward to using this method, make sure to sync your Outlook account with your Exchange profile. We also suggest you take data backup because the manual process may harm your files.
Log in to your Outlook account with the correct credentials and follow the given steps.
- After logging in to Outlook go to the File tab.
- Select the Open & Export option and click on Export/Import.
- Select the option Export to a file and then click on the Next button.
- For saving in PST format, choose the option Outlook Data File (.pst) and click on the Next button.
- Now, select the files or folders that you want to transfer, and then hit Next.
Note: You can also select the subfolders.
- Select the Browse option and choose the location where you want to save the resultant file.
- Choose the option Do not export duplicate items and select the Finish button.
- Now, you can create a password for the PST files. At last, click the OK button.
Using the above method, you can save the OST files in PST format. Let?s begin with the simple steps for converting OST to PST.
- Open MS Outlook in your system and go to the File tab.
- Click on Options and go to Advanced from the left sidebar.
- Now, click on AutoArchive Settings?
- From the AutoArchive Window, select the number of days in which you want to run auto-archiving.
- Enable and disable the required options and then hit the OK button.
Now, your OST files will be saved in PST format. But there are some limitations and it’s better to know before falling into any trouble.
There are various drawbacks to converting OST to PST manually. Some of these are mentioned below:
- The manual technique is time-consuming and lengthy.
- May stop the conversion process if the OST file is large.
- Requires a lot of technical skills.
- Only convert one OST file at a time.
- There are chances of data loss.
- No guarantee of converting all mailbox items.
The above drawbacks state that the manual procedure is not suitable for non-tech users. So, what next? Don?t worry! You can take help from an automated tool to convert OST to PST. By using this method, you can change OST to PST including emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, journals, etc. It allows you to convert OST files to various file formats like MBOX, EML, EMLX, MSG, and CSV. You can convert the files in just a few clicks without having technical know-how.
In the above write-up, we have mentioned the benefits of converting OST to PST. Along with this, we have discussed the manual way to convert OST to PST without Outlook. Also, we suggest you for choosing an automated method for better results. Now, it?s up to you which one should be chosen. Hope you find the article helpful.