A business that deals with freight & logistics is well aware that it must meet all transportation compliances. The foremost thing to check is if the driver has a Commercial Vehicle License (CVL). This ensures smooth & hassle-free travel to & fro goods.
In India, a driver can be forbidden from driving a motor vehicle if the driver doesn’t have a driving license, according to the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.
Therefore, if you want a commercial driving license to drive a vehicle like the Tata Starbus Ultra School bus, this article will inform you about CVL, eligibility & how to acquire it.
What is a Commercial Vehicle License?
A regional transport office (RTO), located in several Indian states issues a commercial vehicle license, also known as a commercial licence, which is an official document allowing someone to operate a commercial vehicle.
A commercial driver’s license (CDL) is required for anyone who will handle or operate a vehicle that has been registered for business usage (to move products or passengers). A person can only drive a CDL after completing the necessary paperwork (as detailed in the sections below) and passing a driving test.
Depending on the kind of vehicle, there are different kinds of commercial licenses, including, to name a few, a trailer license, an HMV driving license, and an LMV cab driving license.
Types of Commercial Vehicle Licenses in India
There are several types of commercial vehicle licenses in India. The classification depends on the category of commercial motor vehicle that they are issued for. Therefore, the eligibility criteria for becoming a CDL driver can be changed according to the vehicle class.
|License Class||Vehicle Type|
|LMV||for light motor vehicles (cars, taxis, delivery vans, etc.)|
|MVG||for Medium Good Vehicles|
|HMV||for Heavy Motor Vehicle|
|HGMV||for Heavy Goods Motor Vehicles|
|HPMV||for Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle|
|HTV||for Heavy Transport Vehicle|
|Trailer||for Heavy Trailers|
Eligibility Criteria – Commercial Driving License
To acquire a commercial vehicle license, a person must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The applicant’s age should be above 18 years. In some states of India, the minimum age to apply for CDL is 20 years.
- The person should have cleared their 8th standard in school.
- A person must apply for a learner’s permit or Learner’s License before applying for a commercial vehicle license.
- Another important factor is that the person should have received their due training from a government training school or any motor schools associated with the state government.
- Finally, the applicant should have cleared a driver’s test conducted in the Motor Vehicle Inspector’s presence.
Documents Required to Get a Commercial Driving License
You must attach the list of these documents when applying for a commercial license.
Address Proof (any one of these)
- Aadhar Card
- PAN Card
- Voters ID Card
- Applicant’s name utility bills
- LIC Policy Bond
- Ration Card
Identity Proof/Proof of Age (any of the following)
- Birth certificate
- 10th mark sheet
- Aadhar Card
- PAN Card
- Voters ID Card
Passport Size Photos
- 2 while applying for a Learner’s License
- 3 while applying for a permanent CDL
- Form 1A
- Form 2
- Form 5
An applicant must enclose the application fees with the form along with the list of the documents mentioned above. Then, a person can apply & submit the documents online or offline.
5 Steps Involved in Applying for a Commercial Driving License
To get a commercial driving license, an applicant can apply online by following these steps:
- Visit the Sarathi website and then download Form 4.
- Upload all the necessary documents and passport-sized photographs after entering the relevant information in the form.
- Submit Form 1A, which denotes the applicant’s medical certificate. The applicant also requires an HMV driving license besides the Driver Refreshing Training Certificate.
- After that, submit Form 5 that declares the applicant has confirmed mandatory training from any motor school associated with the state Government or directly from a Government Motor School.
- Once all the forms are submitted, the applicant will get a serial number and a message on the registered mobile number.
Once you get the CVL, you can drive commercial vehicles like the Tata Starbus School bus or anywhere else.
- Visit the nearest RTO office and fill out Form 2 and Form 1A, particularly for medical certification.
- A Driver Refreshing Training Certificate is necessary while applying for the HMV license.
- Fill out Form 5 that indicates the applicant has confirmed the mandatory training from Government Motor School or the one associated with the state government.
- Now submit Form 2, Form 1A & 5 with all your relevant documents.
- After submitting, you will get the serial number and confirmation notification on the registered mobile number.
Whether you are applying online or offline, it’s necessary that you need to appear for a driving test taken by the Motor Vehicle Inspector at the allotted centre.
A commercial Vehicle License is necessary if you want to drive a commercial vehicle in India. Following the criteria mentioned earlier will help you get a CVL license easily.
The bus price in India starts from around Rs 7 lakh. You can have your own commercial vehicle, depending on your budget or work for someone else as a driver. However, a commercial driving license is necessary to drive these vehicles.