Staten Island homes for sale are available in a wide range of layouts, sizes, and architectural styles. These homes also offer many features to enhance your lifestyle. But with so many new features and amenities constantly being introduced to the market, choosing is truly the hard part. Here’s how to determine your needs and choose the best home.
FEATURES AND AMENITIES TO LOOK FOR IN A STATEN ISLAND HOME
When choosing a new home based on desired features, it’s important to:
- Narrow down your choices and prioritize the ones that are truly important to you
- Make a list of must-have features and non-negotiables to help guide your search
- Determine which features you’re willing to sacrifice so that there’s room for compromise
The more flexible you are with your requirements, the easier it will be to find a suitable property.
HOW DO YOU INTEND TO USE THE HOME?
Being clear about how you intend to use the property will help you identify which features and amenities to prioritize during the property search. Property usage will help you decide which features will be worth investing in.
- Primary residence. When looking for a primary residence, you can choose features and amenities based on your personal taste and day-to-day activities. The property should ideally have everything you need to live comfortably, such as a spacious kitchen, a sufficient number of bedrooms, and plenty of storage. It should also accommodate your hobbies or interests as a homeowner.
- Vacation home. If you intend to use the property seasonally, choose features and amenities that promote leisure and fun activities. Whether you’re staying for a week or a month, the home should also contain features that will help you relax and disconnect from the demands of everyday life. If you plan on inviting family or hosting private events on the property, there should be enough space for entertaining and preparing large meals.
- Rental property. When renting out a home on a short-term or long-term basis, it should be large enough to accommodate the advertised number of guests that can stay on the property. For instance, there should be a sufficient number of bedrooms and bathrooms to maintain privacy and cleanliness. The home should also have modern conveniences and amenities to keep their stay comfortable and enjoyable.
MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR INTENDED USE
Once you know how you intend to use the property, you can start viewing properties with relevant features and amenities.
A full kitchen features a sink and full-sized cooking appliances such a stove, oven and refrigerator. It may also have a built-in microwave and dishwasher. It also features a kitchen island or counters on which to prepare food. In addition to cooking equipment and a dedicated space for food preparation, a full kitchen also offers ample storage space with cupboards, shelves, and drawers. It’s common for larger kitchens to have a walk-in pantry.
No matter how you intend to use the property, having a full kitchen is a must-have feature in any home. This makes it easier for you and your guests to prepare meals that the whole household can enjoy. It can also make the property more attractive to potential tenants and buyers who prefer to cook their own meals at home.
A full bathroom has a shower, tub, toilet, and sink while a half bathroom only has a toilet and sink. If you have a big family or want to host larger groups, a full bath would be necessary as it has both a separate shower and tub to accommodate multiple users. It’s common for larger properties to have a combination of full and half bathrooms throughout. This helps ensure that everyone staying on the property has access to an available bathroom at all times.
Outdoor Living Space
Outdoor spaces like patios, decks, and front porches are perfect for entertaining guests and enjoying al fresco meals in fine weather. Whether you’re buying a primary or vacation home, having usable outdoor space opens up numerous opportunities for exercise, yoga, and meditation. It is also ideal for buyers with pets that need space to roam.
Laundry rooms have become a must-have feature for many buyers who want to have a dedicated space for managing and organizing their laundry. Aside from a washer and dryer, a laundry room may also have hanging racks, storage space for laundry and cleaning supplies, and countertops and tables for sorting and folding clothes. The room can also be used for ironing clothes or grooming pets. It’s possible to customize the space depending on your laundry routine.
If you work from home or need a dedicated space for taking business calls and doing paperwork, then having a home office will make your life easier. A home office set-up typically includes desk space for a computer and multiple screens; adequate lighting; bookshelves or storage for important documents and office supplies; a wall or backdrop suitable for video calls, and a couch. Having a dedicated home office can help boost productivity by minimizing distractions.
Find Staten Island homes for sale when you work with a local expert. A skilled Realtor will help you find suitable properties with the right home features for your needs. Communicating your needs and preferences will make it easier for them to find listings that match your criteria.