Hair styling sprays, gels, pomades, mousses, and waxes are the essential picks to create any hair look that lasts. But, do hair styling products damage the hair and irritate the scalp? It is the prime question that arises for hair health concerns. The comprehensive answer lies in this informatory blog. Continue reading the blog to find what hair styling products do to your hair and how to keep your scalp and hair healthy.
What are harmful Ingredients in Hair Styling Products?
Styling products contain a wide range of ingredients, from hair stiffeners to conditioning agents. All of them work in harmony to provide a natural-looking sheen on hair while making hair intact in its place. Here are the hair styling products with their affecting ingredients:
- Hair gels: Stylist professional hair styling gel contains hair stiffeners, such as oil, beeswax, Xanthan gums, petroleum jelly, etc. These ingredients work to secure the hairstyle in place. However, they result in a product build-up on the scalp that makes hair and scalp oily and greasy.
- Hair sprays: Hair styling sprays contain volatile alcohols to convert all ingredients into aerosol form. These alcohols create a dryness effect that will make hair more susceptible to damage during styling. It may lead to hair breakage and hair loss, i.e., temporary damage.
- Hair Mousse: The aerosol hair mouse also contains alcohol, so it affects the same hair sprays.
- Hair Styling Cream: In the formula of hair styling cream for women and men, the hair damaging ingredients are oils, preservatives, and fragrances. Many women get hair fall and hair loss after frequently using the styling cream.
- Hair Wax: This styling product contains the emulsion of oils, beeswax, and other hair stiffeners. If one does not wash the hair properly after using hair wax for styling, it will clog the scalp pores and build up wax on the scalp.
Hair problems trigger by hair styling products:
The improper hair care routine after hairstyling will lead to many hair damages and hair problems. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Product build-up on the scalp: When you use styling product in excessive amounts, it may build up on the scalp then break down into potentially irritating substances, such as flakes, dryness, etc.
- Dryness and dandruff: The volatile alcohols in the styling product formula result in the dryness of the hair shaft and scalp. If you cannot wash the product thoroughly, it will worsen the dandruff condition.
- Greasiness: Styling gel for curly hair contains oil and waxes to keep the curls moisturized and shiny. However, it may lead to greasiness on the scalp. Thorough shampooing is the only solution to avoid oily scalp and hair.
- Flaky scalp: Excess use of any styling gel for natural hair will make flakes on the scalp. When you try to restyle your hair once the ladies hair gel is dry, it will give white flaky particles on hair. To avoid this problem, do not brush your hair or restyle your hair after gel drying. For restyling purposes, restore the flexibility of hair by spraying the water on it.
- Hair Breakage: The hair stiffeners in the styling products make the hair rigid and inflexible, so hair becomes prone to break after using them.
How to avoid damages from hairstyling:
Every styling product has something that can trigger hair problems. The only solution to avoid damages is a healthy hair care routine. Most people do not give attention to hair shampooing in their hair care regimen. However, it is the essential step to restore the softness and flexibility of the hair.
If you use hair styling gel for men, shampoo your hair thoroughly with any deep cleaning shampoo. On using hair spray or aerosol mousse, wash your hair with moisturizing shampoo or anti-dandruff shampoo. In addition to this, always apply heat protectants before heat styling or good hair serum before any type of hairstyling to prevent potential damages during styling.
Hope! You get the answer to your hair health concern question. So, keep following the best hair care routine while creating a stylish hair look with the help of the best hair styling product.